Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Job Update...

I posted below about my job search (or lack there of), and that I had been contacted by my old principal to come in and do a written interview for a 4th grade position. Well, the big written interview was yesterday. It consisted of 12 questions which took me 5 pages and 1.5 hours to complete! Yes, it was a lot of work! My brain has felt so foggy, because I've been out of the classroom for awhile, but it's starting to come back to me. I'm actually getting more excited about the idea of being a teacher again.

Whoa, I'm getting ahead of myself! I felt that it went really well, and I felt confident when I finished and turned it in. I met with the principal for a few minutes and told him I felt confident with my work. He should be calling candidates tomorrow to set up interviews for Friday. I hope I'm one of them!

Some may think I'm at a slight advantage because he knows me and knows my teaching style, but I still have to work really hard to prove myself. He is the kind of principal who is not going to let me "slack off" with this interviewing just because he knows me. I worked hard yesterday to get through the written interview and get all my thoughts on paper.

I spoke to Terri (my teacher friend who I student taught under-she is wonderful) about the interview and the questions. After speaking to her I felt very confident that I did well, but I'm still really nervous! We talked about my answers, and she said it sounds like I did really well. She knows Dave too as she taught at the same school. She is a very experienced and skilled teacher.

Tomorrow I will post once I've heard from Dave. This may be my only shot at a job for this year, so it's really important to me. I've heard nothing from any other jobs I've applied for, and I feel really lucky to have a chance at this one job.

This is why I feel so lucky...400+ applicants apply for EACH teaching position. The district has hired 27 teachers for the upcoming school year with less than 10 more positions to fill before school starts. I feel lucky to have gotten a preliminary interview when so many teachers won't even get that. Wow. There are going to be a lot of teachers without jobs, and I really hope I'm NOT one of them!

As much as I would love to stay home with William, it's just not possible now. Because I know it's not possible, I really want a teaching job. I can't see myself doing anything else. William will go to daycare three days a week-a wonderful home daycare that my brothers went to. I feel SO lucky that she has an opening, and William will be the only baby. He's going to learn so much from Carla and the daycare kids. She has a spanish teacher, art teacher, and music teacher come once a week. He's going to learn so much from watching and interacting with the other kids. My mom will have him one day a week, and Olly plans to be home one day a week too. It will be nice for him to have some quiet one on one time on the days my mom and Olly have him.

So the waiting game has begun...

No comments: