Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Welcome Baby Grace!

Welcome Baby Girl!
Grace Shannon
Born January 26, 2010 at 9:35 p.m.
9 lbs. 5 oz.
20 inches long

I can't believe she is here! We've had a great first day together.

Yesterday I had my 40 week appointment. Grace's heart rate was high-190s. The doctor checked me and I was 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced. He then checked her heart rate again, and it was still in the 190s which is high for a baby. Dr. Miles then decided to send me up to Labor and Delivery to be monitored and possibly induced. Of course I didn't bring my bag because I didn't want to jinx myself. I asked him if we had time to go home and get our bags, and he said that he preferred we head straight to the hospital which was just down the road from the clinic.

When we arrived the nurse hooked me up to the monitor. Grace's heart rate was still high, but it wasn't as high as 190. It ranged from 160s-180s which is still considered high for a baby. She said they would probably monitor me for an hour, and if we were doing well they would send me home. I asked about staying for an induction, and she didn't seem to think that was an option. I asked to speak with my doctor, Dr. Decker, because I knew she was the doctor working at that time. Dr. Decker came in and decided that Grace's heart rate was still high enough for a little bit of concern, and she said because my cervix was "favorable" for delivery, we might as well start an induction.

We went to our room, and shortly after that they broke my water. It was a HUGE gush. By this time I was dilated to 4 cm and 75% effaced. My contractions weren't too bad at this time. I was able to be on the computer, talk, laugh, etc...The nurse checked my progress about an hour later, and I was dilated to 6 cm. I thought, "Wow! This is great! Contractions aren't painful and I'm already a 6!" BUT then she said, "I'm sorry to tell you this, but I think your baby is breech." WHAT?!?!?

It took a few minutes to process this while I thought about the nurse probably being wrong (yeah, right!). She said when she checked me she could feel a "squishy butt" rather than a "hard head". She then brought in the ultrasound machine, and sure enough Grace was breech. As someone who knows almost nothing about ultrasounds even I could tell from looking at the screen. My nurse asked I wanted to start prepping for the c-section, but all I could say was, "I'm not ready yet! I need a couple minutes to process this." As soon as she left the room I bawled for a few minutes. She then called Dr. Decker to come in and take a look. Dr. Decker confirmed that she was indeed breech. We discussed my options-try to deliver breech or c-section. I love Dr. Decker and felt confident in allowing her to make the decision. She said that because Grace could be a big baby the vaginal breech delivery would not be a good idea. I agreed and opted for a c-section. I was upset because this isn't what I had imagined. I had imagined pushing Grace out (with the hopes that it was going to be much easier the second time around) and having her brought up and put on my tummy right after her birth. Wasn't going to happen :( But in the end, I also knew that a healthy baby was most important. I asked her if we could get started with it sooner rather than later, because my contractions were getting stronger. I knew there was no need to have contractions and be in that pain for nothing! :/

I immediately called my mom and told her to hurry to the hospital because they'd be taking me downstairs to the OR (normally they are done on the L&D floor, but there were other cases downstairs and the anesthesiologist needed to stay downstairs). One great part of my delivery is that my mom is a nurse in the OR at my hospital, so she was able to get her scrubs on and be in the room with us. It was also nice knowing that her coworkers were taking such good care of me.

Once we got downstairs they started preparing me for the c-section. I was really nervous about being able to feel everything (unfortunately I had just read an article the other day about a woman who had a c-section and could feel it). They assured me that I wouldn't feel any pain. Dr. Decker asked, "Can you feel this?" I said, "Feel what?" She said, "I'm pinching you as hard as I can right now." Oh, I guess the spinal was working!

They got started right away and the c-section (the getting her out part) didn't take long at all. There was a lot of pulling and tugging and then I could hear her little cry. Dr. Decker lifted her over the curtain so I could see her for a second, and then they took her to the warming bed and wrapped her up. Olly then brought her over to me. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hold her which was really disappointing, but at least she looked strong and healthy. Olly then went upstairs with her and the nurses. My mom stayed downstairs with me as they stitched me up. This felt like an eternity, because I wanted to be with my baby!

When we got back upstairs I had to stay in recovery for awhile before she could come in. This was so difficult, because all I wanted to do was hold her! Eventually she was brought in so I could hold and nurse her. She latched on and nursed like a champ for about 2 hours straight! The nurse wanted to take her for a bath, but I wasn't ready to let her go again!

We've both been doing well since then. She was a little unsettled today but I think she has been having gas and tummy pains. She has been wanting to nurse a lot. She is doing a lot of nursing for comfort, but it will help bring my milk in. This big girl needs her milk!

I felt a little guilty the next night, because I did end up sending Grace to the nursery so I could get some sleep. At least there are other babies in there, so I'm not the only mom who sends her baby to the nursery. Plus a somewhat rested (if you can call it rest in a hospital) mom means a happier baby, right??

All in all it has been a smooth recovery with less pain and soreness than I expected. The nurses said I'm doing a really great job with my recovery. I've been taking Ibuprofen with only needing something stronger one time. Hopefully it will continue to be a smooth recovery!












2 comments:

SpunkyToes said...

Congratulations to your family. Grace is perfect! The brotherly love is clearly already there for William. Beautiful pictures!

3greenbeans said...

Congratulations to you and your family Alicia! She is absolutely gorgeous and reading the story of William meeting her melted my heart.