Sunday, December 23, 2007

We've Arrived in England!

We made it safely to England yesterday! William was wonderful on the flight over. He didn't cry at all-just a couple little whiny moments. He fell asleep not long after we boarded. He slept very comfortably on my lap-which means I got about one wink of sleep! He woke up a couple hours before we landed, and he was surprisingly very happy. I think the people around us were impressed and VERY relieved that he hardly made a peep. I could tell by the looks on their faces when they saw us board the plane and find our seats that they were inwardly groaning. I would've been too!

We landed at 9 a.m. England time (3 a.m. Minnesota time). It took an hour to stand in line and go through immigration at the airport (thank goodness William fell asleep in his stroller). Lucky for Olly he went right through. William and I had to go through a separate line for people visiting and citizens from other countries. Olly is a citizen of the UK so his line was short and quick. After waiting for an hour and getting up to the immigration officer, he informed me that we could've also gone through the line for UK citizens because we were traveling together. Wish I had known that an hour sooner! I will remember that for next time!

Olly's parents were waiting for us. They were thrilled to meet William for the first time. He gave them each a little smile and was very curious about everything going on. We had about a 2-3 hour drive back to their house. William was wide awake for the first part. After we stopped for lunch, he slept soundly for the rest of the ride. He was happy when we arrived at their house, because he was finally able to crawl around and explore. He took a nap at 7:30 (I thought it was bedtime-boy, was I wrong). He woke up around 10:30 or so and refused to go back to sleep. That makes sense because according to his internal clock it was 4:30 in the afternoon! I gave him to Olly who was hanging out with his mom and dad waiting for his brother, Giles, to arrive from London. I was so tired and just couldn't keep my eyes open. William was awake until 1:30 in the morning! I woke up this morning thinking it was still quite early, and much to my dismay, it was 11:30! William was still sound asleep, so I woke him up right away. We will never get him on England time if he sleeps that late!

We had Sunday lunch at a very quaint pub down the road this afternoon. I had to eat quickly because William was cranky and desperate for a nap. He is now sleeping, the others are still at the pub enjoying their lunch, and I'm back at the house. It's so relaxing here. Olly's parents live in a very old (built in the 1700s) home. It's quiet. I think I might started reading a book-not a school book!

Merry Christmas! I'll post some pictures as soon as I can.

1 comment:

SpunkyToes said...

I'm so glad you guys made it safely and I can't wait to see pics!